Monday, January 28, 2013

Grace: A Memoir


I don't know how or why it came to be, but I seem to be mainly interested in reading memoirs. To be sure, I still enjoy reading fiction, but I am most often reading a memoir. I have a section of our bookcase devoted to them. Most recently, I read Grace Coddington's memoir. Grace is the Creative Director of American Vogue, and her memoir is a glimpse into the dizzying world of fashion.

Born in Wales, Grace recalls that fashion magazines offered her an escape from her rather austere life as a teenager. She became a model and worked her way to the top of the industry.

When Grace began modeling, models were expected to bring their own accessories and props to photo shoots. They also had to style their own hair and make-up, as there were not yet stylists for fashion shoots. You will be amused by Grace's stories of dragging her enormous modeling bag around London.

Before The September Issue, I think that most of us were more familiar with Anna Wintour, Vogue's Editor-In-Chief, whose chilly personality was portrayed by Meryl Streep in The Devil Wears Prada. But the 2009 documentary The September Issue made Grace Coddington a well-known celebrity. She has styled some of the most beautiful shoots in fashion history, and this memoir brightly illuminates her life and work.

One of my new favorite books!


No comments:

Post a Comment